We have set a challenging goal of zero work accidents for our operations throughout the world, and today we are on the way to achieving it. Over the past five years, we have reduced the number of our accidents organization-wide by 40%.
Our success derives from a continuous effort to achieve excellence in safety, including heavy investment in employee education and occupational safety and health measures in strict compliance with industry standards and local safety rules. As a result, we have been able to reduce accidents and near misses and to improve work safety conditions at all of our facilities.
To ensure a continuous focus on safety, each of our business segments implements a safety and health enforcement plan and regularly holds internal and external audits to ensure compliance with the law and internal regulations. To further heighten safety awareness, we operate a Center of Excellence for Safety, a cross-company forum that reviews our safety policies and fosters best practices across our company. For example, in 2011, more than 300 occupational and health safety professionals from ICL business units around the world participated in a safety conference during which they shared work methods for achieving zero accidents.
Examples of our proactive safety measures include the "Task-Oriented Safety", “Behavior-Based Safety” used by Rotem production facility, Safety a Head" used by the Dead Sea Works and the “Operational Risk Management (ORM)” tool used by ICL Industrial Products to manage plant safety issues.
The following graph illustrates the multi-year trend in the improvement in the rate of work accidents at ICL facilities from 2007 to 2012:
ICL’s policy in the field of hygiene, occupational health and safety include, among others:
- Creating a high level of safety and health awareness among our employees, service providers and visitors to our plants, as well as the Company’s suppliers, transporters, and customers.
- Implementing advanced procedures for safety, maintaining accreditation, implementing processes for training and preventing accidents
- Employee training at our training center to deepen the Company’s overall professionalism, knowledge and preparedness
- Monitoring environmental health in work areas at all of our factories worldwide
- Assessing high health risks and preventing exposure of employees to dangerous products and processes at our plants
- Providing periodic medical examinations for employees, as well as occupational medicine and preventative medical services at our plants, in cooperation with hospitals and experts in the field